Conquer the Day with Inspiration & Convenient Snacking Tips from Jim White, RDN
You're going at full speed checking off all the things on your to-do list. You're the ultimate Slashie – handling multiple priorities and roles (i.e. parent/student/working professional) like you were born for this. Just because you've got everyone else's back doesn't mean you can forget about yourself. So keep on snacking smart and maintaining good eating habits to be at your best, particularly during the vulnerable afternoon crash.
In fact, according to a nationwide study, at 2:58 p.m., on average, people across the country experience an afternoon energy crash resulting in lower productivity, which ultimately can lead to poor eating choices later in the day. Battling the afternoon crash while on deadlines may seem overwhelming, but with simple changes and a power-packed snack, it is possible to overcome and conquer the day.
To tackle the afternoon crash and beyond, California Almonds has teamed up with Jim White, RDN, seen at right.
“It’s not unusual to crash when juggling multiple priorities and a nonstop day,” said Jim. “What’s important is what you’re doing to combat it. To prevent energy dips, I always recommend a smart and easy snack like a handful of healthy almonds – their fiber, protein and good fat can help anyone power through their to-do’s.”
Jim believes with simple planning, anyone can seize the afternoon, or Carpe PM! Below Jim shares inspiration, tricks and simple snack pairings to stay energized all day long.
Inspiration to Help You Carpe PM and Power Through The Afternoon + Beyond
- Have a game plan. If you’re like me and juggle many different priorities, you likely have very little time to plan your meals during the day. Save yourself the hassle and plan ahead. Pre-pack your snacks ahead of time so that you can easily grab-and-go when you’re in need of a midday pick-me-up.
- Pack it with protein. Include snack options that incorporate protein to keep you fuller and satisfied longer. A snack that incorporates protein, like one ounce of almonds, boasts 6 grams of protein and is easy to pack and snack - add in a small piece of fruit and you’ll bypass that midday slump, and conquer you’re to-do’s before the day is done.
- Stay hydrated! It may sound simple but this important task is often overlooked. Maintaining adequate water intake can help you bypass that afternoon crash and leave you feeling more energized. Aim for at least 8 cups of water a day or more depending on activity level. Water is so easy to keep on hand throughout the day as well, so no matter how busy you are, there is no excuse!
- Get moving. If you’re in need of an afternoon pick-me-up, go for a brisk walk, do some lunges to the copy room or just step outside for some sunshine.
- Eat regularly. It is important to eat quality, nutrient-rich foods throughout the day to ensure your body gets the energy it needs to focus at school, work and perform well enough to keep up with you to-do list. To prevent hunger and overindulging at meal times, spread your food intake over several smaller meals. Keeping healthy snacks on hand, such as almonds, is also a great way to curb hunger and stay fuller, longer.
Fuel Your Day by Smart Snacking
It is no secret that a key to a successful and productive afternoon is staying properly fueled and hydrated.
For quick, nutritious and tasty ways to fuel your day, Jim recommends the snacking pairings below, which can easily be made and consumed on-the-go.
 Conducted online for the Almond Board of California using GfK’s KnowledgePanel®, September 19 - October 3, 2016. The total sample size is 6,490 adults aged 18+ years.