PROGRAM COORDINATOR, INDUSTRY RELATIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS
The Industry Relations and Communications Program Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Global Communications team in creating, designing and executing communications, programs and events to external audience groups. This position supports the maintenance and expansion of industry relations and communications with almond growers and handlers, particularly related to the growing needs of Almond Board programs. Additional focus will be on designing materials related to the organization’s mission and vision, almond growing and processing practices, promotional and marketing campaigns, industry education, and other areas.
This is an entry-level non-exempt position, requiring strong creative, design and website skills, as well as written and verbal communication, critical quick thinking and attention to detail. This also requires exceptional interpersonal skills to work with industry members and represent ABC at events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The following duties are typical of those performed by employees in this job title; however, employees may perform other related duties.
- Designs and develops educational content and materials in support of outreach activities (e.g. factsheets, event flyers, press releases, eBlasts, etc.)
- Creates educational videos that deliver key messages to industry members on best management practices, event promotion, etc.
- Supports the planning and execution of The Almond Conference and other events
- Supports outreach activities, and represents ABC at events including field days, seminars, workshops, Almond Leadership Program meetings, local community events, special industry/media tours, agriculture trade shows and others
- Executes deliverables related to communications editorial calendar and scheduling for industry communication vehicles; works with internal and external stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met
- Interviews subject matter experts, writes and edits articles, newsletters, announcements, blog posts related to Almond Board of California (ABC) programs and events as directed; writes speeches, prepares short videos, presentations, charts and graphs, for outreach efforts
- Submits industry news and associated content to the Newsroom, collects newsletter sign-ups from website reports and adds to appropriate distribution lists, serves as back-up to publishing content on the Newsroom and blog.
- Works with Shared Services to ensure website is up to date, using SEO best practices, implements changes to the site as identified in site audits, coordinates website content management related to grower/handler events and educational materials
- Archives and tags collateral and content on Media Valet, SharePoint, Huddle and other archiving platforms
- Executes USDA review process for Industry Communications and Reputation Management materials, ensures Industry Communications materials meet ABC’s Global Image standards, working with Shared Services as needed
- Schedules and supports social media posts for industry facing channels
- Tracks key collateral usage and coordinates replenishment
- Tracks participation at workshops and events; prepares reports, slides and presentations; presents to internal and external audiences
- Provides ongoing support for grower/processor programs associated with Almond Quality, Food Safety and Food Safety Modernization Act, Production, Environmental, and Technical and Regulatory Affairs
- Other duties as may be assigned
- Basic agricultural systems; understanding of sustainability initiatives, and/or farming and the almond industry in California
- Project management, which includes the discipline of planning, organizing and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals, objectives and deadlines
- Principles and practices of effective written and oral communications, including report preparation, correspondence, English grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Methods and techniques of printing and graphics
- Understanding of organizational communications
- Video production, design and editing, with emphasis on Adobe Suites
- Creating flyers, invites, eBlasts, and other promotional materials
- Communicating clearly, both in writing and orally
- Logistical coordination and management of multiple tasks, deadlines and priorities
- Writing and editing articles, newsletters, brochures, social posts, news releases, important correspondence and other written materials
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Working independently, as well as collaborating as a team player
- Commitment to quality, motivated self-starter that takes ownership of work
- Computer applications including Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Publisher; Adobe Suites including InDesign and Photoshop
- Engaging on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Must possess a valid California driver's license and insurance as well as have a satisfactory driving record
- Travel within California and occasionally elsewhere in the United States
- Attend and participate in industry related activities outside normal working hours
ILLUSTRATIVE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A typical way to obtain the above knowledge and skill is a combination of education and experience equivalent to:
A BA/BS degree in Agriculture sciences or communications, marketing, graphic design, public relations, journalism, or a closely related field. 1-3 years previous experience in coordinating educational outreach activities or events, marketing with an emphasis on digital, or coordinating corporate communications for an organization is a plus.
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS: The physical abilities involved in the performance of essential duties are:
- Incumbent will be required to work extended periods of time at a video display terminal
- Vision sufficient to read handwritten and printed documents and computer screens;
- Speech and hearing sufficient to communicate by phone and in person;
- Manual dexterity sufficient to use a variety of office equipment and tools, computer keyboards, and to manipulate papers;
- May lift up to 30 pounds (15 kilos) and manipulate heavier objects using dollies;
- Travel up to 10% may include, but not limited to, workshops, media events, and working with outside agencies and vendors within the Central Valley