Almond clusters with coconut & jasmine tea caramel
By Alexander Ong
2 cups sugar, granulated
3 tbsp lite corn syrup
6 tbsp coconut milk
4 tbsp water
2 tbsp jasmine tea leaves
6 tbsp unsweetened butter (cold), cut into ¼ cubes
1 ½ tsp kosher salt
5 oz unsweetened dried coconut flakes, toasted to golden brown
Vegetable cooking spray
3 cups whole blanched almonds, roasted
3 cups slivered almonds, roasted
- Add the coconut milk and water in a small pot and bring it to a low simmer. Take it off the heat and add in the jasmine tea leaves and let it steep for 10-12 minutes.
- Then strain the coconut milk-jasmine tea mix & discard the tea leaves.
- Place the sugar & corn syrup in a medium pot over medium heat
- Let the sugar mixture melt & carefully stir to combine
- If the sugar is browning too fast, alternate by taking it off the heat & stir & then placing it back on the heat to continue cooking
- Once the sugar turns into a dark caramel, take it off the heat and add the coconut milk-water-jasmine tea mix, and butter cubes.
- The caramel will start to froth rapidly so be careful not to burn yourself
- Keep stirring gently until the butter has been fully incorporated and the frothing has simmered down.
- Then add the kosher salt to finish the caramel.
- Mix the almonds in a warm large sauté pan (non stick is best)
- Pour the caramel over the nuts and combine to mix well.
- Line 2 sheet trays with wax paper and spray 2 teaspoons with vegetable spray so the caramel won’t stick to them.
- Keep the pan of nuts warm on low heat so the caramel will not harden.
- Work quickly and spoon quarter sized clusters onto the sheet trays.
- Finish by sprinkling the toasted coconut flakes over the warm nuts.
- Alternatively, you can choose to roll the clusters in the coconut flakes and fully coat them.
- Let the almond clusters cool completely before packing them in air tight containers.
Fiber: 2 g
Fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 3 mg
Sat Fat: 3 g
Sodium: 28 mg
Mono Fat: 4 g
Calcium: 35 mg
Poly Fat: 2 g
Magnesium: 37 mg
Protein: 3 g
Potassium: 207 mg
Carb: 10 g
Vitamin E: 3 mg*
* total alpha-tocopherol equivalents