Get inspired with small changes in healthy snacking from top trainers
Watching and cheering on our athletes as they go through their final preparations to compete on the world stage is very inspiring. Although not all of us are at the same fitness level, this exciting time of athleticism can motivate us to take charge of our routine for better weight management.
Having a healthy and convenient snack every day is the easiest and most effective habit to make improvements in any busy schedule. For example, a handful of almonds for your daily snack is one small change that can have a big impact on your weight management.
California Almonds has teamed up with Dai Manuel to create achievable goals to improve your health. Dai is an executive performance coach and certified lifestyle mentor who empowers people to lead a FUN-ctionally fit life through education, encouragement, and community. Dai models his work based on 5 F’s: Fitness, Family, Finances, Faith with an overarching roof of FUN, built on a rock-solid foundation of Health.
Dai believes: “Taking just a moment out of your busy day to think about improving your health can go a long way. Small daily habits, like walking 10,000 steps or eating a handful of almonds, are simple and effective milestones along the road to building a health-first lifestyle. And after all, isn't life more amazing when we have our health?"
Dai Manuel’s top healthy tips to implement in any busy lifestyle
1. Lifestyle Baby Steps: Lifestyle changes don’t have to happen overnight. The journey to optimizing health and happiness is an everyday adventure. Creating small, simple lifestyle habits is the key to living a long, healthy and energized life. Even with a busy hustle-and-bustle lifestyle, be accountable to the small little actions that help reinforce a life built on health! Smart eating, daily movement and restful recovery… small daily milestones on the road to being more awesome in life!
2. Breakfast of Champions: Break the FAST each morning with something great! Mornings are busy, but ditching breakfast can set one off on a path of bad decisions for the day. If you’re usually in a rush in the morning, many easy, healthy breakfasts can be put together the night before so you can grab your breakfast on the go. For example, make overnight oats or pre-mix a smoothie to be blended in the morning – both can be put together quickly with almond milk, almond butter, Greek yogurt and fresh or frozen berries. Your day will be off to a great start by including almonds in your breakfast.
3. Move with Purpose Every Day: ‘Move every day, every way!’ - this is your mantra! Hop off the bus a few stops earlier, take the stairs, or park on the other side of the parking lot at work… all simple hacks to help you get more movement in each day. Seemingly small actions build up and compound throughout our day-to-day life. If you’re inspired by cheering on our Canadian athletes as they are getting ready to compete on the world stage, dig up that pair of skates or rent a pair at your local rink and get a couple of laps in on the weekend.
4. Sleep for the WIN: Quality sleep helps keep stress under wraps, but more than that, a good night’s sleep will also help maintain a healthy metabolism. Have you ever noticed that your cravings and energy levels after a poor night’s sleep seem out of control? You’re not alone. It’s hard to get yourself to bed early every night, but simply trying to decrease your bedtime by half an hour when you can, will make a significant impact over time. To make the most from your sleep, power-down your screens 30-minutes before bed, and switch on ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode so no pesky notifications wake you up!
5. Mindful Snack Attacks: Fail to plan, plan to fail… this is so true when it comes to snacking on the go! Swap an unhealthy snack such as chips with one containing protein, fibre and good fats to keep you satisfied and fuller longer. Almonds are convenient snacks you can bring with you on the move. They’re not only delicious, but provide 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fibre in each serving to help satiate your hunger and fuel you through your busy day.
The 5-in-5 Almond Power-up Snacks to Go
Looking for additional healthy lifestyle tips? Almonds are a go-to for these fitness trainers and experts:
When he was 14, Jose purchased a gym membership and fell in love with the mental and physical benefits of fitness. Now he is a personal trainer to the Toronto’s top executives and their families. His no-nonsense approach combines his new school training philosophy with old school fitness fundamentals to offer unparalleled workouts and daily inspiration to his social media followers. Read his recent blog on how almonds get him though his daily routine.
Now a physical educator, Jimmy Sevigny was once morbidly obese (452 pounds). His proudest accomplishment was finding the path of fitness by himself when at 19 a cardiac arrest made him understand that he must change his life. Today, he is a coach and motivator who travels across Canada to give seminars on fitness. The accomplished triathlete has recently launched a 3-level training DVD and he also organized four of the largest fitness gatherings in Canada, the Mega-Workouts. He invites people to question their own life choices with his book: ''Être sur son X''. Jimmy shares how he enjoys almonds on social.