Discover Innovative Snack-spiration with California Almonds at IFT’18
At the IFT18 Annual Meeting + Food Expo, the Almond Board booth featured a variety of almond snack and beverage samples, the latest At sustainability, consumer and nutrition research, and access to industry and culinary experts to thousands of attendees July 15-18 in Chicago.
Chef Rob Corliss of All Things Epicurean provided recipe demonstrations and technical insights at Cooking Up Science. He focused on the formulas he used to maximize almond appeal in concept development for the Moringa Almond Refresher and Mocha Goji Almond Crunch Bar. Chef Rob discussed up-and-coming flavor and ingredient trends used in the concepts and why almonds pair well with the emerging flavors.
Chef Rob also led onsite California Almond Solution Sessions (CASS), offering a deep-dive into the versatility of almonds and product development of the IFT18 booth samples. If you missed out on participating in a session at IFT18, or are interested in more information on these sessions – including how to schedule a custom session for your team – please contact email@example.com.
On the show floor, ABC featured an array of exciting, trend-forward booth samples featuring different almond forms to achieve varying flavors and textures. The recipes are available on ABC’s Recipe Center:
• Everything Almond Butter Spread
Creamy almond butter is blended with chopped almonds, dried minced garlic and onion, sesame, caraway and poppy seeds with a touch of black pepper - reinventing a classic flavor combination with a modern twist.
• Spiced Apple Maple Almond Clusters This crunchy snack includes a trio of almond forms - whole blanched, sliced and slivered - blended with pepitas, dried apple, maple and a variety of spices to give each bite a flavorful kick.
• Moringa Almond Refresher Smooth and creamy unsweetened almond milk is blended with moringa, elderflower and a touch of orange blossom, creating an elegant and refreshing on-trend beverage.
• Mocha Goji-Almond Crunch Bar
Bold and savory, this pressed bar is loaded with creamy almond butter, roasted almonds and blanched slivered almonds, spiked with notes of espresso, unsweetened cocoa powder, bits of cacao nibs and dark chocolate.
• Lavender-Rose Almond Crispers Sliced and chopped almonds, quinoa, chia seeds, dried strawberries, rose hips and lavender are blended with maple and baked into thin and crispy addictive snack bites.
Almond industry experts participated in an IFT
NEXT session on almond co-products. The session abstract can be found below, and the presentation slides will be available through the IFT
NEXT website, linked here.
The Future of Next Generation Food Waste: How the Almond Industry is Unleashing the Potential for Co-Products
Consumers are making many personal changes related to the environment, with 66% actively making changes with recycling and waste management.1 This presentation, featuring ABC’s Guangwei Huang, Associate Director, Food Research and Technology, and the USDA’s Bill Orts, Research Leader, Bioproducts, will explore research projects underway that result in almond co-products (hulls and shells) being used to ferment beer, boost mushroom production, strengthen recycled plastics, and even supplement honey bee and insect food.
Click here to download the most recent Technical Kit and stay updated on the latest sustainability information http://www.almonds.com/sustainability-food-professionals.
For questions or additional technical information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Almond Board November 2017 Quarterly Sustainability Tracker