Lavender and Almond Ice Cream
From the Sapphire Grille in Savannah, Georgia, Chef Chris Nason created this decadent floral treat with hints of fragrant lavender and delicate almonds.
3 lb cups heavy cream
1 lb, 8 oz Milk, whole fat
1 ea Vanilla Bean, split
2 Tbsp Lavender Flowers
8 oz Egg, yolks
14 oz Sugar, granulated
1 oz Honey, clover
2 oz Almonds, natural, slivered, toasted
1) Combine the cream and milk in a large, heavy bottomed sauce pan.
2) Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add them with the pod and the lavender to the cream.
3) Bring the mixture to a simmer.
4) In a large bowl, whisk together the yolks, sugar, and honey until pale.
5) Gradually whisk in some of the hot cream mixture to temper the yolks, and then pour back into the cream.
6) Stir gradually over medium low heat until the custard thickens and leaves a path on the back of the spoon when you run your finger through it.
7) Strain the base through a chinois (resulting in 88 ounces) into a 4 quart container and cool in an ice bath, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
8) Freeze the base in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's directions, adding the almonds just at the end.
9) Pack into air tight containers and freeze until firm.
Calories 313.5; Fat 24.7 g; Sat Fat 14.1 g; Mono Fat 7.9 g; Poly Fat 1.4 g; Protein 3.9 g; Carb 20.4 g; Fiber .27 g; Cholesterol 190.3 mg; Sodium 38.5 mg; Calcium 85.4 mg; Potassium 110 mg; Vitamin E 1.4 mg;