**Almonds contain 6 grams of protein per ounce.
Bring Countless Flavors to Life
Learn here more about almonds’ inherent strength in snacks and visit the recipe center for fresh ideas and almond inspiration for the next best snack product—one that a world of consumers will eat right up.
View a free webinar on key snack and bar trends for development inspiration, featuring Lu Ann Williams of Innova Market Insights.
1. 2013 North America Consumer AAU.
2. 2013 Global New Product Introductions Report, May 2014.
3. 2013 North America Snacking Consumer Quantitative Study, Sterling-Rice Group.
Make Every Spoonful Sensational
1. U.S. Cereal Pulse, Sterling-Rice Group, 2014.
2. North America Consumer AAU. Sterling-Rice Group, 2015.
A Tempting Tradition
Peering into any bakery case in almost any country around the world, you’d be hard-pressed to find a selection of sweet treats that doesn’t include almonds. For centuries, almonds have been an essential ingredient in bakery innovation, inspiring classic favorites such as French macarons, Jaconde Sponge cake, strudel, Bienenstich Cake, Norwegian Wedding Ring Cake and many more.
With more forms to choose from than any other nut, there are countless ways to boost consumer satisfaction with almonds. They are a shining star of versatility, melding with butter and holding their form and irresistible, irreplaceable crunch in both wet and dry conditions.
- Almonds are the top nut for global new product introductions in the bakery category, and new almond bakery introductions contributed to 21 percent of total nut introductions in 2015.1
- According to Euromonitor, customers are seeking out a variety of quality indulgences and artisan preparations, a craving that almonds most certainly satisfy.
Almonds have a simple sophistication and a distinctly premium image that global consumers can’t get enough of. Plus, their contemporary visual appeal has the power to take any sweet treat to new heights.
So whether you use almonds whole, sliced, slivered or chopped, or as almond milk, almond flour, almond butter, almond oil or marzipan, there are countless ways to boost consumer satisfaction with this cravable ingredient. And don’t forget to click over to our almond recipe center for some extra almond inspiration.
1. Global New Product Introductions Report. Innova Market Insights, 2015.
For Crave-worthy Crunch and Unlimited Versatility, Think California Almonds.
- Whole natural almonds
- Diced Almonds
- Halved almonds
- Almond Flour
- Ground almonds
- Almond Meal
- Slivered almonds
- Almond Oil
- Chopped almonds
- Almond Butter
- Sliced almonds
- Almond Paste
- Flaked almonds
- Almond Milk
- Blanched almonds
- Almonds are reported as the favorite nut among food professionals because of their taste (86 percent), visual appeal (70 percent), versatility (52 percent) and texture (62 percent).1
- A recent study among food professionals found that almonds are rated highly on taste appeal (70 percent) and consumer demand (74 percent), both key attributes for product selection.2
- Consumers worldwide rate almonds as the nut that best delivers crunch.3
Click here for more information on the many different almond forms.
Here are more ideas on ways to integrate diced and chopped almonds into your dish with video by Chef John Csukor.
Satisfy the Craving
1. Global Perceptions Report, Sterling-Rice Group, 2013.
2. Global New Product Introductions Report, Innova Market Insights, 2015.
3. CPG AAU Study, Sterling-Rice Group, September 2014.
But Wait, There’s More
Almonds really have it going on. They’ve got the taste consumers are begging for. They’re that certain kind of crunchy you can’t find in any other nut or ingredient. They have a healthful halo that shines with protein (6g), fiber (4g), vitamin E (35% DV), heart-healthy benefits and more. And for these reasons among others, now they’re exploding in some of the latest innovative categories.
This delicious alternative to traditional nut butters is enticingly creamy and makes a great match with all kinds of flavors, including chocolate, honey, vanilla and more. Consumers are happily spreading it on thick, with rich nutrition as a delicious bonus.
- Almond product volume grew 40% in the nut and seed butter category from 2011 to 2012—vs. an overall category decline of -0.5%.1
- Almond butter has a positive price premium and is less likely to be purchased on promotion vs. other nut and seed butters.4
With lactose intolerance and other dairy-related health issues on the rise, increasingly more consumers are looking for dairy-free options that keep the flavor at full power. Almond milk is the darling of the milk alternatives category with its subtle, slightly sweet taste and 13 essential nutrients, including protein and fiber.
- Almond milk has grown at a 66% CAGR since 2010 (vs. the category at a 12.1% CAGR), now accounting for a strong 46.4% of the milk alternatives category.1
Desserts and Almond Ice Cream
Almonds have long been a staple ingredient in desserts and ice cream, but now they’re inspiring a whole new generation of sweet treats. Innovative brands and product creators are looking to almonds to add toasty flavor and exciting texture to their dessert formulations, and almond milk and butter are making names for themselves in some of today’s hottest ice creams and novelties.
* Scientific evidence suggests, but does not prove, that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such as almonds, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease. One serving of almonds (28g) has 13g of unsaturated fat and only 1g of saturated fat.
1. AC Nielsen New Product Tracking Report, Sterling-Rice Group, 2013
Click for Inspiration
Almond Board of California is your source for anything and everything almonds, and here’s your chance to download copies of all our expert industry resources and almond-centric research. So what are you waiting for? Get clicking.
- Almond Milk Stats NEW!
- The Perfect Pairing - Chocolate + Almonds NEW!
- 2017 California Almond Supply and Outlook NEW!
- 2017 Innova Global New Products NEW!
- California Almonds Continue to Inspire New Products Worldwide NEW!
- Almond Composition NEW!
- Nutrient Comparison Chart for Tree Nuts NEW!
- 2015 Innova Global New Products
- 2016 California Almond Supply and Outlook
- 2015 Consumer Attitudes, Awareness and Usage Highlights
- Growing Up Sustainable
- A Trusted Nut Worldwide
- Chocolate and Almonds: A Dynamic Duo
- Consumers' Ideal Snack Bar
- Crunch on This: Almonds Drive the Bar Category
- Crunch on This: The Science of Satiety
- Crunch on This: Harness the Power of California Almonds in Chocolate Products
- Bars Bring Performance and Indulgence for All
- Research Update: Spotlight on Cereal Bars
- Research Update:The New Snack Time
- Development of a Sensory Lexicon for Almonds
- Chocolate Inspiration
- Snacking Inspiration
- Cereal Inspiration
- Almonds and Snacking - White Paper