Almond Frangipane & Citrus Tart
Created by renowned pastry chef Pichet Ong
1 cup (1/2) butter, room temperature
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
zest of 1 grapefruit (which may be used later for segments)
2 cups AP flour
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons cream
Zest of 2 oranges (which may be used later for segments)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon AP flour
1. In bowl of mixer, paddle together butter, sugar, salt, zest, and vanilla until combined.
2. Add eggs and beat for another minute, scraping the bowl once half way through to ensure even mixing.
3. Add flour and mix the dough on low speed until combined. Remove dough from bowl onto a clean work surface and form dough into 2 pieces. Wrap each piece with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
4. Butter a 8 tart ring (1/2 high) with soft butter and place ring on a flat sheet pan lined with parchment paper. One a lightly floured work surface, roll one of the pastry pieces out to about 1/8 thick and 12 wide, rotating the circle a quarter-turn with each roll. Lightly flour the surface of the dough and loosely roll the dough around the rolling pin. Unroll the dough into the tart ring and press the edges up along the sides, trimming off any excess. Place sheet pan in refrigerator to let the dough rest. 5. Reserve the other piece for another pie.
1. In a pot, brown butter, then stir in cream, and set aside to cool. Directly zest orange on top of the brown butter as it is sitting.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together sugar and brown butter until a paste is formed. Beat in egg, followed by vanilla, ginger, almond meal and flour. Leave pastry cream out until use.
Assembly 3 tablespoons sliced almonds Segments of 1 grapefruits, drained on towel Segments of 1 blood orange, drained on towel Segments of 1 naval orange, drained on towel 3 tablespoons apricot jam 1 tablespoon disaronno amaretto A pinch of maldon salt 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Working quickly, spread frangipane all over the tart evenly. Arrange citrus segments on top in concentric arrangement, covering the tart entirely, pressing down gently so the fruit sticks to the frangipane.
2. Bake tart at bottom rack of oven for 20 minutes total, until crust and filling are golden brown, scattering sliced almonds on top and rotating the pan 12 minutes in. While tart is baking, mix apricot jam with amaretto and 1 tablespoon of warm water just to break it up.
3. Brush top of tart with with apricot syrup, sprinkle maldon salt all over on top, and let tart cool for 10 minutes before removing the ring. Let tart cool to room temperature and sift confectioners sugar all over on top before serving.