Beef Barbacoa Tacos with Almond Mojo
As featured at Research Chef's Association 2012. Makes 20, 2-ounce tacos.
2 lb Beef Brisket, trimmed lean
8 oz Tomatoes, diced
8 oz Beef stock
4 oz Wine, red, dry
2 oz Lime Juice, fresh
1/2 oz Cumin, ground
1/2 oz Oregano, dried
2 oz Cilantro, fresh, minced
8 oz Onion, sliced ½ thick
3/4 oz Salt
1/2 oz Pepper
1/2 oz Chili, flakes, dried
2 oz Cilantro, fresh, stemmed
1 oz Parsley, fresh, stemmed
1 oz Tamarind, puree
1/2 oz Scallion, washed well
1 oz Garlic, raw, whole clove
1 oz Salt, kosher
1/4 oz Cumin, ground
1/2 oz Vinegar, red wine
1/4 oz Chili flakes, dried
1/2 oz Lemon Juice, fresh
3 oz Almond Oil
4 oz Almonds, whole, roasted, chopped 1/8 inch
2 oz Mango, fresh minced
2 lb Almonds, blanched, ground
1 lb, 4 oz Instant corn masa
1 qt Water
1 oz Salt, sea
1) Preheat oven to 275°F.
2) Grill raw trimmed brisket over high heat to mark.
3) Place into a heavy-bottomed pan and cover with remaining ingredients.
4) Cover and braise for 4 hours in oven until fork tender.
5) Shred and cool for use.
6) Be sure to let sit in juices.
1) Combine herbs in food processor and rough chop.
2) Add remaining ingredients, leaving out the oil, almonds and mango. Continue to chop.
3) While chopping add oil slowly until incorporated.
4) Finish by folding in the chopped almonds and mango.
5) Store airtight; refrigerate until ready to use.
1) Preheat oven to 250°F.
2) Using a stand mixer and dough hook attachment, combine all ingredients and mix until smooth.
3) Separate mixture into 4 balls and cover with plastic wrap.
4) Place in refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours.
5) Measure 1 ounce balls and using a tortilla press, press into 4" tortillas.
6) On a parchment-lined sheet pan, place into a warm oven to dry slightly until ready for use.
7) Grill in a nonstick pan until lightly browned and use as you would a corn tortilla.
1) Top Almond Tortillas with Beef Barbacoa and Almond Mojo.
2) Serve immediately.