Togarashi Nori Almond Crunch
Unexpected snack addictions are the best discovery in life. Whole blanched almonds, blanched almond slivers, sliced almonds, bits of nori, sesame seeds, crisp puffed brown rice, togarashi, ponzu, orange and maple syrup are blended together, then baked and broken into rustic bites of sweet-savory-spicy extravagance. Created by Chef Rob Corliss for Almond Board of California.
6 oz maple syrup, pure
1 oz honey
0.5 fl oz ponzu
1 fl oz coconut oil, liquid
0.05 oz togarashi spice, shichimi, small grind
12 oz almonds, blanched, whole
3 oz almonds, blanched, slivers
2 oz almonds, natural, sliced
1 oz puffed brown rice, whole, crispy
0.1 oz nori sheets, dried (2 each), torn into small pieces
1.5 oz sesame seeds, whole
0.1 oz orange peel granules, dried
0.2 oz Maldon sea salt
1. Place maple syrup, honey, ponzu, coconut oil and togarashi spice in a mixing bowl and whisk to evenly combine. Reserve at room temperature.
2. Place almonds and all remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to evenly combine.
3. Add reserved maple syrup mixture to the almonds and dry ingredients; stir, ensuring that all ingredients are fully coated and evenly combined.
4. Spread the mixture in a medium-thin layer on a parchment-lined sheet pan, then place in a 275-degree F convection oven and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes. * Finished color should be an even, light golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and allow mixture to completely cool on the pan at room temperature. Once cooled and hardened, break the mixture into rustic small-medium chunks.
7. Place the Togarashi-Nori Almond Crunch in a sealed covered container and reserve at room temperature.