CROP AND ACREAGE REPORTS
NASS CROP FORECASTS AND ACREAGE REPORTS
USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) produces crop forecasts and acreage reports for the California Almond industry which are released at noon on the dates noted in the calendar of events. Subjective reports provide early estimates of the coming crop after it is set. Objective reports highlight forecasts later in the growing season, close to harvest. These forecasts can then be compared to actual production and trade statistics in the form of Almond Board monthly position reports and tabulated annually in the Almond Almanac – both which can be accessed on the Almond Board Crop Reports tab.
NASS also produces annual estimates of the California Almond industry’s acreage. These reports are released each spring and detail the total almond growing acreage for the previous year as well as distribution by variety, county and year planted.
While the Almond Board has funded research that has yielded alternative findings about almond acreage, NASS’s almond acreage reports, subjective and objective crop forecasts and others are the official USDA estimates and will continue to serve as the official statistics for the industry.
Below is a listing of NASS almond-related reports for the past three years. Click here to access reports for previous years.
- 2018 California Almond Acreage Report (April 2019)
- 2017 California Almond Acreage Report (April 2018)
- 2016 California Almond Acreage Report (April 2017)
- 2015 California Almond Acreage Report (April 2016)
- 2019 California Almond Forecast (May 2019)
- 2018 California Almond Forecast (May 2018)
- 2017 California Almond Forecast (May 2017)
- 2016 California Almond Forecast (May 2016)
- 2019 California Almond Objective Measurement Report (Jul. 2019) and complete presentation
- 2018 California Almond Objective Measurement Report (Jul. 2018) and complete presentation
- 2017 California Almond Objective Measurement Report (Jul. 2017) and complete presentation
- 2016 California Almond Objective Measurement Report (Jul. 2016) and complete presentation
- 2018 California Almond Nursery Sales Report (June 2019)
- 2017 California Almond Nursery Sales Report (Feb. 2018)
- 2016 California Almond Nursery Sales Report (Oct. 2016)
- 2015 California Almond Nursery Sales Report (Nov. 2015)
LAND IQ ACREAGE REPORTS
Almond Industry Maps
The Almond Board of California provides a comprehensive mapping analysis to improve the precision, accuracy and transparency of information about the almond industry. Understanding the impacts and opportunities of almond production is fundamental to responsible resource management, regulatory compliance and planning for the sustainable future of California agriculture. Mapping products are developed in partnership with Land IQ, a Sacramento-based agricultural and environmental scientific research and consulting firm. The maps constitute a comprehensive, living map of California Almonds that draws upon multiple sources of information and extensive validation to create a highly accurate, orchard-by-orchard view of the industry.
Spatial Acreage Estimates
Behind the maps is a robust data set. The 2018 Standing Acreage Initial Estimate includes estimated almond acres, bearing and non-bearing, by county and by year planted from 1984 through 2016. It is based on standing acreage in 2018 and is also reflected in the 2016 almond acreage map layer. Bearing acreages have all been verified via ground truthing and/or spatial approaches.1 Non-bearing acreages represent, 2017 and 2018 plantings. All non-bearing acreages should be considered as estimates at this time and will be finalized following completion of the 2020 mapping.
Findings from the spatial map are being used by USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) to fine-tune the official almond acreage reports and other forecasts and reports, and serve as a complementary almond industry resource. The NASS crop and acreage reports are the official USDA estimates and will continue to be the official statistics for the almond industry.
- 2018 Standing Acreage Initial Estimate (December 2018)
- 2016 Standing Acreage Final Estimate (December 2018)
- 2014 Standing Acreage Final Estimate (April 2018)
Land IQ began an annual mapping process in 2019, meaning two acreage summaries will be released this year: One summary of bearing acreage only is being released in June, and the other summary, with bearing and non-bearing estimates for the same production year, will be delivered in December. Land IQ’s initial estimate for bearing acreage only takes into account the orchards removed, as well as young orchards coming into production.
Removed Acreage Estimate
In addition to spatial acreage estimates, ABC commissioned Land IQ to create a map layer showing removed acreage in the last year. 2019 is the first year Land IQ provided this layer, which gives an estimate as to how many almond acres were removed between June/July of 2018 and April/May of 2019.
- 2018-2019 Removed Acreage Estimate (June 2019)
1Bearing acreage estimates are 98.8% accurate spatially and even more accurate numerically.