Nickels Field Day Set for May 3
The 35th annual Nickels Field Day will take place on Thursday, May 3, at the Nickels Soil Lab in Arbuckle. Subjects on the program of particular interest to almond growers include:
- Does increasing Nonpareil percentage improve per-acre returns?, presented by Joe Connell, UC farm advisor, Butte Co.
- Spraying herbicide in orchard middles, presented by Brad Hanson, UC Davis.
- Self-fertile almond varieties, presented by Tom Gradziel, UC Davis.
- New almond leaf sampling practices, presented by Sabastian Saa, PhD candidate, UC Davis
- Nonpareil on peach and plum rootstock, presented by Bill Krueger, UC farm advisor, Glenn Co.
- Introduction to foliar nitrogen sprays in almonds, presented by Franz Niederholzer, UC farm advisor, Colusa/Sutter/Yuba counties.
The program begins with registration at 8:30 a.m. followed by field topics at 9:00 a.m. A luncheon will be held at 12:15 following the final presentation. Reservations are required. Luncheon speaker is Jeff Sutton, general manager, Tehama-Colusa Canal. More information available in the Pomology Newsletter.