For immediate confidential consideration please click here to apply online.
Reports To: Specialist, Industry Relations
Internship Term: June 1, 2020 – August 28, 2020
Hours: Typically, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Posting Close Date: March 1, 2020
The Almond Board of California is looking for an energetic and capable summer intern to join our industry relations team. The intern should have the drive to work hard and approach challenges with enthusiasm, common sense, and a willingness to ask questions. This is an hourly position at our headquarters in Modesto, CA.
We are eager to identify an agricultural student who is motivated, determined, and willing to get the job done to make an immediate impact to the Almond Board of California’s (ABC) Industry Relations department. In turn, we strongly believe this experience will enrich the intern while also giving back to the greater agricultural community.
This position will focus heavily on creating promotional materials and involve tasks such as developing editorial content and assisting with making presentations to local schools. The position will provide the intern with an introduction to project management, content development, and external and internal communications.
This internship also exposes an individual to multiple experiences including field events, time spent with outside agencies, and the ability to work directly with almond industry members. At the conclusion of this internship, the individual will have been exposed and contributed to the Almond Leadership Program, California Almond Sustainability Program, Ag in the Classroom program, The Almond Conference, and industry communications while working on a myriad of projects.
A large focus of this internship will be to create promotional materials related to industry programs and events, while providing support for the various industry communications vehicles and special projects. Additionally, a short testimonial video will be created of the 2020 Almond Leadership Program, with a goal of creating a piece that can be used to help encourage young leaders to apply for the program, as well as a promotional video to encourage participation and exhibition at The Almond Conference. Other experiences you can expect to have:
- Promotional video development for various industry programs
- Provide logistical support for ABC events including special field days, seminars, and workshops
- Review, audit, and update website content pages, databases and Almond Board digital assets
- Write, edit and/or interview stakeholders for Almond Board blog and/or newsletters
- Present the Almond Story through Ag in the Classroom opportunities
- Plan logistics as it relates to The Almond Conference, with an emphasis on identifying opportunities to reach new attendees
- Research expanded opportunities for community outreach programs
- Additional support for various industry events, content development for communications vehicles and special projects will round out this experience.
Authoritative knowledge of English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and accepted elements of writing style, principles of effective public speaking including appropriate audio-visual aids; video editing; computer applications including Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Currently studying towards or completed a bachelor’s degree in agriculture sciences, communications or journalism.
- Involvement and/or familiarity with agriculture or the almond industry highly preferred
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects and tasks with varying deadlines
- Previous experience preparing videos, charts, graphs, power point presentations, and other audio-visual accompaniments using computer software
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with both internal and external contacts
- Must possess a valid California driver's license and have a satisfactory driving record
- Flexibility to frequently attend and participate in industry related activities outside of normal working hours
The physical abilities involved in the performance of essential duties are:
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds and manipulate heavier objects using dollies
- Vision sufficient to read handwritten, and printed documents and computer screens, speech and hearing sufficient to communicate by phone, in person, and to address groups
- Manual dexterity sufficient to use a variety of office equipment and tools, computer keyboards, and to manipulate papers